Search This Blog

Monday, 4 July 2011

Eat when you are hungry, stop when you're full

Eat when you are hungry and stop when you're full is one of the 7 Golden Rules of slimming as explained in my book, the Journey of the Slim Soul. It might sound obvious to some, but not to most slimmers. Let me explain.

Before I started my own journey of the slim soul and started to unlearn the things I learnt about how to diet, I used to eat when I was told, how much other people suggested me to eat and even what they suggested me to eat, regardless of whether my body said anything different. In fact, I was so out of touch with my body that I don't think I really knew what hunger meant anymore. My hunger radar had been jammed.

How did that happen? First of all, it started as a child when my mother, as was the fashion then, fed me at set times when the doctor had told her to feed me. And believe me, I weight my words when I say "fashion". For the grazer that I am, her type of feeding really didn't work. I was starting most of the time and when I finally got to have some food, I had gone off it. My body had adapted and switched off my hunger radar because it was too painful to feel the natural calls of my body. The method worked so well that I remember vividly (this was one of my haha moments on my journey of the slim soul) being terrified to miss lunch time at work in case there would no longer be serving food, regardless of whether I was hungry or not. When you approach food this way, the problem is that because you start off eating when you are not hungry, you obviously don't get a clue to stop when you are no longer hungry. The other big issue is that you feed your body when it doesn't need food so it will obviously store it as fat, regardless of how "well" you eat.

Anyone who has been brought up like this, or by people who confuse food with love and who use food as a currency, will come across that hurdle when trying to slim. And this is also the reason so many people rush too diet gurus. Again, they are missing the point: as long as they continue to give their power over to someone else to tell them how to slim, they will struggle to do so.

The recipe for success is so simple most people ignore it: because really it can't be that simple. Dieting MUST be hard, or it won't work. The recipe for success however is extra simple: eat when you are hungry and stop when you are not. It's all in the art of understanding how to apply that golden rule and I talk a lot more about how to do that in my book. I'll give you one of the tips though: avoid foods that are loaded with refined sugar, salt and fat (as in processed foods) because you won't be able to stop that easily. Guess what: it's done on purpose. The food industry is not stupid: it adds all these "naughties" because it knows you will eat more. Be wiser than they are, learn to cook from scratch. Even if you don't like it, you are worth it. Besides, you can change your attitude to cooking.

Blessings of lightness

Anges de Lumiere

No comments:

Post a Comment