Search This Blog

Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Confession of an ex-addict

I hold my hand up and say: "I am an ex addict. I used to be addicted to sugar." I recently read on the internet (but my mamma said don't believe everything you read on the internet) that sugar addiction is not real. I have to disagree. The only way to really know is to decide not to have processed sugar at all. And this is why there is a detox as part of my programme. Very often it is not until you embark on a detox programme that you realise how much you have been addicted to one processed sugar. Suddenly, you look at all the things you set aside and you panic: how am I going to cope without my cup of coffee with three sugars? This is the crunch. Until you are asked to give it up you can fool yourself into thinking that you don't have a problem.

The problem with sugar is that it is almost in every food we are sold, especially if it is processed. Pasta is sugar. White bread is sugar. Biscuits are packed with it. It finds its way into everything. The food industry loves to sprinkle everything with it because, they are no fools, it makes you want to eat more and more and more. Why would they use so much food and sugar if it wasn't addictive. And until you learn to read labels and detect how they hide it with fancy names such as fructose (that must be good sugar because it sounds like fruit right? No), lactose, glucose... any name ending with "ose" (which rhymes with overdose, by the way - I know I am on a roll today). Fruit juices are mainly packed with that. They claim that it is full of vitamins but most of the vitamins have gone within minutes of pressing the juice (most juices on the market are made from concentrate anyway which is basically pure sugar) so they add synthetic vitamins (which your body cannot process easily anyway). Besides even the fruit juice you might make yourself, is not as good as eating the fruit itself because you need the fibre. And fibre from commercial cereals is not an adequate source of fiber either because it is artificially produced and it is abrasive on the gut like a scratch sponge.

But we are lulled into thinking that having breakfast cereals with a glass of juice is a healthy start of the day. And if this illusion is reinforced by the commercial that we watch on TV that portrays slim people smiling and running around after having their bowl of cereals, then we are going to feel the same, right? I used to. I now know better.

Eliminating processed sugar from your diet does not mean that there will be no sweet things in your life anymore. There is still honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, stevia, xyletol, fruit, raw chocolate and even dark chocolate (as long as there is more chocolate than sugar in it).

I know that during my pregnancy, sugar creeped back into my mouth. I craved sweet things and I gave in. Pregnancy does that to me. This time around, it took the form of nutella. I kept on top of it by spreading it on a banana so that I got some nutrition out of it and curbed the addiction but I am not going to fool myself (we often do when we give into bad habits) I slipped right back into addiction mode.

I am looking forward to do a new detox. I have done two now. And I would suggest that doing a detox once a year is probably a good thing (some people do two a year). After the first one I did three years ago, fruit tasted so sweet and sugar actually felt like an aggression to my system. Grapes tasted as sweet as chocolate cake. In addition to making us realise how we are addicted, detoxes helps our bodies get rid of toxins and there are a lot of those everywhere: in our food, toiletries, cleaning products, clothes, medicine... it's almost impossible to avoid. I will be blogging about that when the time comes.

In the meantime, the best to your journey.

Blessings of lightness

Anges de Lumiere

To learn more about the passports of the slim soul, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment